Both clubs are two-time former champions and will be on the hunt for an unprecedented third title, and in the process, become the most successful ISL club in history till date.
The match will take place in an empty stadium in Goa.
Here are three things to look forward to from the final......
3. ATK favourites based on past encounters
In their two previous meetings earlier in the season, ATK won the fixture in Chennai 1-0, while Chennaiyin registered a 3-1 away win in Kolkata in mid-February.
However, on an overall level, both teams have faced each other a total of 14 times in the Indian Super League, with ATK winning six and Chennaiyin winning four games respectively. Four games between these two teams have ended in draws.
An interesting thing to note here is despite losing more, Chennaiyin has scored more goals than ATK in this encounter.
2. Interesting stats and facts
Here are some of the most interesting pre-match stats and facts ahead of the final:
- In Hero ISL history, the team which defeated FC Goa in the semis, has never lost in the final. Chennaiyin beat FC Goa in the semis
- This season, ATK FC have conceded only 4 goals in the last 15 minutes of matches (lowest in league) while Chennaiyin FC conceded 10 goals in the same period. (joint highest in league)
- Both the teams have scored 11 goals in the last 15 minutes of matches.
- If ATK win the final, Antonio Lopez Habas will be the first head coach to lead his team to two Hero ISL trophies.
1. Manager's comments, probable XI and key players
Looking ahead to Saturday’s final, Chennaiyin head coach Coyle noted, “We know from our last game, that we need to do certain things better. Sometimes due to your subconscious nature, you start to protect what you have. But it has no relevance for Saturday. It is a clean slate. Two very good teams going all out to be champions. Two teams who have won the title twice in the history of Hero ISL - the two top teams. Somebody on Saturday night will be the outright top club in the Hero ISL. We want to make sure that it's us.”
On the other hand, ATK coach Antonio Habas Lopez said, "We want to win the trophy but we have to respect our opponents as well. It will be an important match for me, for ATK and we will have to give our best. A final is absolutely different from a league match. We have to enjoy the final and win it. This is the idea. We have to work hard for 90 minutes or more. It is special, but for us as professionals, it is much more. It’s a final, so it’s different. It’s a different environment.”
Probable XI for both teams:
ATK FC: Arindam Bhattacharja (GK), Pritam Kotal, John Johnson, Sumit Rathi, Prabir Das, Michael Soosairaj, Javier Hernandez, Jayesh Rane, Michael Regin, Edu Garcia, David Williams, Roy Krishna
Chennaiyin FC: Vishal Kaith, Jerry Lalrinzuala, Lucian Goian, Eli Sabia, Laldinliana Renthlei, Anirudh Thapa, Edwin Vanspaul, Lallianzuala Chhangte, Rafael Crivellaro, Andre Schembri, Nerijus Valskis
The match will be telecast at 7:30pm on the Star Sports Network