The commercial aspect of football is becoming increasingly undeniable with each passing day. This is no longer just a sport where men kick the ball around. Right now, this is a commercial juggernaut and the finance associated with it is a testament to that.
Every player has his price. There was once a time when spending a few thousand euros on a player seemed inscrutable. Now, however, any player worth his salt has a market price of close to 9 figures.
1 - €1 billion 勞— SPORTbible (@sportbible) January 25, 2020
2 - €800 million ⚽️
3 - €750 million
4 - Lionel Messi https://t.co/poZjeupaa7
In Spain, every player that is signed by a club needs to have a release clause that would allow the said player to leave should another player agree to pay that amount.
As a result, some of the finest players in the world are always open for purchase as long as the potential buyer pays his buyout fee. With that in mind, let us have a look at the players with the most expensive release clause in the world of football…
7. Joao Felix (Atletico Madrid) - €350 million
6. Ousmane Dembele, Philippe Coutinho, Arthur and Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona) - €400 million
4. Lionel Messi, Vinicius Junior, Isco and Marco Asensio (Barcelona and Real Madrid) - €700 million
3. Luka Modric and Brahim Diaz (Real Madrid) - €750 million
2. Antoine Griezmann (Barcelona) - €800 million
1. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) - €1 billion