Paris Saint-Germain's sporting director, Leonardo has opened up on the speculation surrounding the future of striker, Edinson Cavani, confirming that the Uruguayan has asked to leave them in the January transfer window, with the club already turning down an offer from Atletico Madrid so far.
Cavani who has struggled with injury issues this season, has long been linked with a move to the Spanish capital and with PSG signing Mauro Icardi albeit on loan, he has seen his opportunity for gametime become very limited.
He has now reportedly decided to leave France after a successful six-and-a-half year spell, though Leonardo has insisted that they will only sell him if a club can match their valuation of him.
Sporting Director Leonardo in the mixed zone: "Edinson Cavani has asked to leave. We are studying the situation. We had an offer from Atletico Madrid, we did not accept it. I don't know how this is going to turn out."— Get French Football News (@GFFN) January 19, 2020
"We always said the same thing for Cavani. We hoped that he would stay at the club. Today, he asked to leave. We are studying the situation. We had a proposal from Atletico Madrid. We did not have a proposal worthy of the player's worth. [But] I'm not sure Cavani will be here in February," he said as per Goal.
"Today, there is nothing [to say he will leave]. But he has made the proposal to leave. We've never thought about selling him before. We will see how it turns out in the coming days, but we are listening to Cavani because we respect him. It's a little clearer now, with him at the end of his contract."
The 32-year-old who moved to the French capital from Napoli in 2013, is PSG's all-time highest goalscorer with 198 goals from 292 appearances, helping the club dominate the footballing landscape domestically.