Barcelona sporting director Eric Abidal has confirmed that the club are looking at Lautaro Martinez as a potential successor to the throne of Luis Suarez, who only has a little over 18 months left on his contract with the Catalan giants.
There are reports of the the Blaugrana not offering the Uruguayan an extension with Antoine Griezmann slowly taking over the central role in Barcelona’s attack. However, the Frenchman might not be the only one challenging for the spot as the Catalans are eying Martinez.
The Argentine has been in good form this season for Inter, scoring five times from 12 matches in the league while adding another four in Europe. As a result, he is on the radar of Barcelona.
Abidal reveals Barca are monitoring Inter's Lautaro Martinez— Al-haji Ismail (@Alfaenshe) November 18, 2019
"He is a complete player, I think he is performing at a great level," Abidal said, as per Goal.
"He is a player we know, there are other players who also have a lot of quality. I know Barca, I know what adaptation is like, but I don't pay much attention to the player who plays every weekend, I look at others."
Eric Abidal also spoke about the situation surrounding Luis Suarez, stating that the former Ajax star is aware of Barcelona’s interest in another attacking player.
"I am transparent with the players, Luis can tell you because last year I already told him that it was going to be like that, that we were going to look for an offensive player and I don't say he did not accept it, he accepted it because he wants the best for the team.”