Paris Saint-Germain superstar, Kylian Mbappe has beaten the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo to top the list of the world's most valuable footballers based on a study by CIES Football Observatory.
The 20-year-old, who has played a key role for both club and country over the past year is valued at £203million, above Liverpool striker, Mohamed Salah who comes in second with a value of £200m.
Manchester City's, Raheem Sterling is placed in third with £190m, with Lionel Messi, considered by many to be the greatest player in the history of the sport, in fourth, valued at £153m. That Messi turned 32 this year might be the reason why he is ranked in fourth, with his value almost £80m lesser than Mbappe.
Top 5 most valuable football players according to the CIES Football Observatory:— Semper Football (@SemperFootball) June 13, 2019
1) 🇫🇷 Kylian Mbappé (€252m)
2) 🇪🇬 Mo Salah (€219m)
3) 🏴 Raheem Sterling (€208m)
4) 🇦🇷 Lionel Messi (€167m)
5) 🏴 Jadon Sancho (€159m) pic.twitter.com/TARYXU8xVH
Borussia Dortmund's teenage starlet, Jadon Sancho makes the top five with a value of £145m, with the top 10 lost having one notable omission in the form of five-time Ballon d'Or winner, Cristiano Ronaldo who is placed in the 20th position, with a value of £118.1m.
The algorithm propagated by CIES takes into account a wide array of variables such as age, contract, position, minutes, goals, international status, team results, etc. The estimates refer to the value for the most likely recruiting club.
10 Most Valuable Footballers as per CIES
1) Kylian Mbappe (PSG) - £203 million
2) Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) - £200 million
3) Raheem Sterling (Man City) - £190 million
4) Lionel Messi (Barcelona) - £153 million
5) Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund) - £145 million
6) Sadio Mane (Liverpool) - £144 million
7) Harry Kane (Tottenham) - £143 million
8) Roberto Firmino (Liverpool) - £132 million
9) Antoine Griezmann (Barcelona) - £131 million
10) Leroy Sane (Man City) - £125 million