Sadio Mane,Jordan Henderson

Premier League: Three Talking Points From Liverpool's 2-0 win Over Wolves

Liverpool beat giant-killing Wolverhampton Wanderers at Anfield on matchday 38, hoping to end their quest for a first Premier League title in 29 years. However their title chances were not in their hands, as even if they won, they needed Manchester City to drop points against Brighton and Hove Albion to ensure the Reds won the title. 

Liverpool won 2-0, but failed to secure the title as the Seagulls were beaten 4-1. Here are three points of note from the Liverpool match.

3. Sadio Mane and Trent Alexander-Arnold come up with the goods again

Sadio Mane was absolutely brilliant for Liverpool again, coming up with an important brace against a tightly-knit Wolves defence. The Senegalese winger took his Premier League goal tally to 22 this season, sharing the Golden Boot with team-mate Mohamed Salah and Arsenal marksman Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. 

Trent Alexander-Arnold on the other hand has had his say on 13 goals, scoring one and assisting 12 times in 29 appearances for the Merseyside outfit. The 20-year-old England international has also broken the assist record for a defender in the history of the league with the two assists against Wolves. 

2. Wolves threaten nervous Liverpool

While chances were few and far in between, Wolverhampton Wanderers threatened the Reds towards the end of the first half and the start of the second half, when the defenders were uncharacteristically nervy and looked like they were going to concede. 

Right wing-back Matty Doherty hit the crossbar from just inside the box in the 42nd minute, and Diogo Jota controlled a long-ball from Leander Dendoncker, beat Joel Matip, but delivered a poor cross inside the box to Mexican striker Raul Jimenez, all of this while the score was 1-0.

Jurgen Klopp was forced to bring on James Milner to calm things down in the middle of midfield and he did the exact same, but it was an eventful 15-20 minutes from the Midlands side. 

1. Anfield goes through a roller coaster of emotions

An hour before the kick-off, Anfield was in full cheer, spurring their team to pull off a second miracle in the same week. But 16 minutes into the game, Mane scored and the phones were out, as it was obvious that their priority was now the Manchester City game. 

As the camera rolled around, nervous and hopeful faces were aplenty, but a sudden burst of joy from the stadium had the 22 players on the pitch distracted. It was the 27th minute, and Glenn Murray had scored for Brighton, which meant that Liverpool would be champions.

Sergio Aguero immediately equalised for City, but the Merseysiders held on to their phones, as that would still mean they would be champions. But a Laporte goal 7 minutes before half-time and one could hear the groans around the stadium. 

Then, another mixture of sighs and groans in the second half, as City scored another one, and phones were down, and focus was back on their beloved team, as they cheered the greatest runner-ups in the history of the Premier League off the pitch, classic Anfield style.