Barcelona vice-president Jordi Mestre has opened up about the contract confusion surrounding manager Ernesto Valverde, insisting a renewal on his deal is not up for discussion at present.
Valverde recently raised eyebrows when he refused to confirm whether he will extend his contract at the Nou Camp, which has led to rumours of a move in the summer and now Mestre has given his opinion on the current confusion over his situation.
Jordi Mestre: "The management is pleased with Valverde. But Enrique and Guardiola had great success at the club, and yet they left the club."— Barça Universal (@BarcaUniversal) January 9, 2019
"It’s a recurring situation that happens every year. It was the case with Luis Enrique and Pep Guardiola. At this moment Valverde’s renewal in not on the table. Despite the fact that we are very happy with him anything can happen in football. I believe he has said that he is happy with us, the players are happy with him and personally I am as well," he said as quoted by AS.
“We’re relaxed about the situation but we know that anything can happen and due to the text of the contract it is not something that depends entirely on us or that is entirely in our hands. We are coming to the key period of the season but at the moment we are very calm.”
The 54-year-old was appointed as Barcelona manager in 2017 and since then he has led the club to the domestic double in his first season, winning 60 of the 86 games he been incharge of.