Luis Norton de Matos, the head coach of the India Under-17 team
The 64-year-old Portuguese coach's contract was set to be extended by the AIFF after the technical committee of the governing body of football in India had unanimously agreed to his contract extension.
This is the original post by Matos:
However, the former Sporting Lisbon and Benfica B manager, who led India at the 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup, following the exit of his predecessor Nicolai Adam, announced today on his personal Instagram handle that he had made up his mind to leave.
However, the coach went on to delete his post some time later, with renowned Times of India journalist Marcus Mergulhao going on to tweet that the AIFF had not been informed about the resignation.
Hasn't told the AIFF at least that he is resigning. Got injured in training and returned home for knee surgery. Even told the team that he will join them in Spain, where they are now headed for a pre-season tournament. His @instagram post though has left everyone guessing. https://t.co/3tfYmkQXOe— Marcus Mergulhao (@MarcusMergulhao) July 8, 2018
If Matos' exit is indeed confirmed, the AIFF, who had aimed to keep Indian Arrows in operation for another season, will have to rethink their strategy going forward with regards to the club.
Under the Portuguese tactician, India lost all their matches at the FIFA U-17 World Cup last year with the India Under-19 squad also failing to qualify for the AFC U-19 Championship 2018. Indian Arrows too finished at the bottom of the I-league table under him.