Leicester City have enacted revenge on Everton for their Premier League Boxing Day defeat with a 2-1 FA Cup third round victory at Goodison Park.

Substitute Ahmed Musa's brace completed a come-from-behind win for the Foxes on Merseyside after Romelu Lukaku had given the Toffees the lead, and ensured Claudio Ranieri's men progressed to the fourth round of the competition.

The loss brings an immediate end to Everton's FA Cup dreams for another season, with Ronald Koeman's men now only having their Premier League campaign to focus on.

Having beaten Leicester 2-0 at the King Power stadium 12 days earlier, Everton were looking to make it two wins in two over the reigning champions.

It was the away side, though, who should have opened the scoring with a chance inside three minutes. Leonardo Ulloa, however, sent his unopposed header wide of the upright from Demarai Gray's cross.

The Toffees were woken from their slumber following that missed opportunity, and responded with a gilt-edge chance of their own. Lukaku turned on a sixpence from Gareth Barry's forward ball, but the Belgian's low centre was too strong for the onrushing Ross Barkley to get on the end of.

Everton v Leicester City - The Emirates FA Cup Third Round

Everton were dominating proceedings, with their pressing game forcing mistakes from Leicester. The Foxes, though, were looking threatening on the counter, with Wilfred Ndidi - making his debut for Leicester after completing his £15m move from Genk - seeing an effort blocked from Nampalys Mendy's knockdown following a swift attacking move.

Ramiro Funes Mori fired over the bar from Barkley's corner, before Lukaku sent two efforts - one a header from Enner Valencia's cross, the other a 25-yard strike - the wrong side of the goal as the Blues looked to end the half on top.

Danny Drinkwater became the next player to send an effort high and wide at the start of the second half - the England international skying his shot from a training ground free kick routine - while Valencia's shot was charged down by Wes Morgan just shy of the hour mark.

Joel Robles had to be alert to smother Morgan's header from Gray's corner, before Valencia acrobatically blazed wide after Ashley Williams' flick on from Seamus Coleman's lofted ball.

Finally, on 63 minutes, the deadlock was broken and it was the home side who profited. Substitute Gerard Deulofeu breezed past young full-back Ben Chilwell down the right flank, sent an inviting cross into the mix and Lukaku was on hand to stab home from close range.

The home crowd's celebrations, however, were tempered just three minutes later. Gray's cute cutback in the area found the base of the post from Musa and, in the pandemonium that ensued, the forward prodded past Robles to level proceedings.

Everton v Leicester City - The Emirates FA Cup Third Round

That scoreline was then turned completely on its head 20 minutes from time. Musa played a lightning-quick one-two with Drinkwater before darting in behind Everton's backline and curling a sumptuous effort into the corner of Robles' net.

Ranieri saw fit to finally hand a first-team debut to Bartosz Kapustka, while Koeman threw on Arouna Kone for a first appearance in four months in a bid to salvage a replay from the encounter.

Fellow sub Kevin Mirallas produced a superb save from Kasper Schmeichel as time ticked on, but it was Leicester who hung on to throw their hat into the draw for the next round, with Everton exiting the tournament at the third round stage for the second time in three seasons.

Read more from Tom Power by following him on Twitter!